Florida Man Found Breathing After Two Paramedics Declared Him Dead and Left the Scene


A man was found with a pulse and breathing after two paramedics declared him dead, and his family is understandably furious.

Phebe Maxwell stated to WFLA-TV, that she pleaded for her father, Thomas Maxwell, but she was ignored by paramedics and they left after declaring him dead.

On Wednesday, paramedics responded in Pinellas County to a call about a cardiac arrest. Maxwell stated that paramedics checked Maxwell’s father’s wrist and took a pulse before telling her that he was dead.

The daughter said that her father’s lips were blue and that he was cold. However, she was performing CPR and her friend was nearby doing chest compressions. His chest was moving up and down, and he was making loud noises. This was a sign that his lungs were functioning.

She claimed that she had told them her father was still breathing. But they denied it.

She recalled the words she heard them say to her: “No ma’am, he’s gone.”

A Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office deputy went to investigate and found that the man was alive and breathing.

The man was immediately taken to emergency care.

Clearwater Fire Department Chief Scott Ehlers issued an apology to the family.

“On behalf of the city, I am sorry for the actions and inactions that were taken by our crew during this incident.” According to Ehlers, we have policies and procedures that are very strict. However, they were not observed in our initial review. “These two failed to provide the level of care our citizens deserve and expect.”

As the investigation continues, the paramedics were placed under administrative duty and clinically suspended.

Maxwell stated that her father is currently in intensive care and that she fears he may have suffered from long-lasting cardiac arrest-related effects.

“I am frustrated, hurt, and mad. I don’t know what this will do to my father. She added that she doesn’t know what kind of life he will have in the future.”

This is the third incident of its kind in the past few months.

After being declared dead, a woman in Iowa gasped for air from her body bag. She was taken to a crematorium and funeral home. Two days later, she was rushed to the hospital and passed away surrounded by her loved ones.

A second Long Island woman aged 82 was discovered to be breathing. She had been declared dead and taken to a funeral home. Due to privacy concerns, her condition was not made public.

Here’s a local report on the incident