US Navy Photographed Retrieving Chinese Spy Balloon Wreckage


The U.S. Navy recovered the Chinese spy balloon from the Atlantic Ocean after it was shot down by American fighter planes. Photos of the wreckage are now online.

After the balloon entered NORAD airspace in Alaska, Canada, and traversed the United States, an Air Force F-22 destroyed the Chinese aircraft using an air-to-air missile.

The spy device was dropped off the coast of South Carolina at an elevation of between 60,000 and 65,000 feet.

These photos were taken by Tyler Thompson, Petty Officer 1st class, and published through the Defense Visual Information Distribution Service. They show a large area of debris that is the equivalent of more than a dozen football pitches.

General Glen VanHerck, Commander of NORAD and U.S. Northern Command said that 15 football fields are equal to 15 football fields.

VanHerck said, “I remind you that it’s possible for some debris to float ashore due to ocean currents.”

According to media reports, the general stated that the balloon measured around 200 feet in height and weighed several thousand pounds with a payload similar to a “jet aircraft.”

The general stated, “I will tell ya that certain the intel community and the law enforcement community who works under counterintelligence will take a good glance at it.”

Another balloon was also spotted in Latin America. The Chinese government also acknowledged ownership of the balloon but stated that it was lost.

Mao Ning (China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson) claimed that the unmanned aircraft craft was indeed Chinese but was only used for flight testing.

Mao explained the balloon’s trajectory and course, saying that the weather had affected it and that the balloon was unable to steer itself. The balloon entered the airspace of Latin America and the Caribbean.

Representatives from communist countries also said that their governments had reached out to appropriate authorities in the relevant countries about the second aircraft.

“China is responsible and acts in accordance with international law. We have notified the relevant parties. It is being handled properly and will not pose any danger to any country.”