Family Sues Airbnb After Toddler Dies of Fentanyl Overdose in Rental

0
839

A Florida family has been devastated by the tragic death of their 19-month-old daughter from accidental fentanyl poisoning.

Thomas Scolaro is representing the family in the lawsuit. He joined Fox & Friends First Monday to discuss what happened.

They had all planned for a simple, relaxing family vacation. Everything went well. After she had played for a while, they put the baby down to sleep. They then went to wake her up several hours later to find that she was dead. He explained that it was “every parent’s worst nightmare.”

Scolaro claims that the family didn’t know their baby had died from fentanyl poisoning until an autopsy was performed, which revealed a fatal dose.

“That’s part of the message the family wants to get out. … You don’t know who was there before. You don’t know what they were doing before you. Scolaro advised that you wipe the surfaces and take extra precautions because you don’t want to be in the same situation as them.”

Boris and Lydie Lavenir were on vacation in Wellington, Florida, with their children. Enora, their daughter, was found in Enora’s bed shortly after they arrived. According to the Washington Post, her face was covered in white foam and her lips were swollen. Paramedics arrived at the scene after she called 911.

According to the Post, the death was caused by her exposure to fentanyl.

Police were unable to determine the source of the fentanyl that the baby girl was exposed to at the rental. There have been no criminal charges.

In the wrongful death suit, the family names Airbnb, the property owners, and the previous renter as defendants. They claim that the vacation homeowner and the rental company failed to protect the property. The family also claims that the previous renter was negligent in permitting drugs to be used on the property and left behind drug residue.

Scolaro stated that he is certain that the toddler was exposed at the Airbnb to fentanyl. Scolaro believes that previous renters left drug residue after a party that was drug-fueled and that the property wasn’t properly cleaned.

“Fentanyl was in that house. I understand nobody would want to admit to that. I wouldn’t want to admit to killing a child either, but these folks did and they’re going to have to answer for it,” he said.